Thursday, September 2, 2010

ties that bind...

This handy little potholder is just one of the many things I have been binding lately! This was a fun little foray into the world of potholders [I have been seeing them everywhere and had to try my hand at it]. The main panel is a piece of osnaburg that I drew on with a pigma pen, colored with crayons, and then heat set. This has been hanging around the UFO bin for no less than 7 years [yikes!] I actually liked working with the InsulBright batting - I am always a little scared to sew through something that appears to contain metal, but the needle cruised through it! I backed it with a scrap of Arcadia and added a handy little hanger on to the back. [Does anyone how to make the binding loops like on the store bought potholders?]



So lots of binding going on around here - which means lots of finished projects to show you soon! And I haven't forgotten about my promised giveaway - it will be a handmade little number and it is ready for finishing as well!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet!! I'm adding these to my "make for Christmas gifts" folder. Egads! Can you believe I'm thinking about Christmas already!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. to make loops:

    Finish off the pot holder by pinning bias tape around the edges and creating a loop for hanging. Stitch the bias tape around the edges of the pot holder with a sewing machine.
    ----------------------------------------------
    At the end of the pot holder, use the extra 21/2 inches of bias tape to make a loop for hanging the holder. Continue your stitching with a straight stitch all along the extra tape; then double the tape back and stitch its end to the edge of the pot holder with back-and-forth stitches. The loop should lie at the corner of the pot holder.

    ReplyDelete