Tuesday, June 8, 2010

pillow basics: the series...

My obsession with pillows has led a couple of people to ask if I have any tips or a basic tutorial. I love to share and teach, so over the next few weeks you can watch as I put together a pillow with step by step instructions. There is nothing new or amazing with my instructions - just things I have picked up along the way or have found to be time saving. [after all, pillows aren't exactly a new thing] I created a button that you can add to your blog it's on the right sidebar -->

Step #1
I usually use a pieced or appliqued top, so that needs to be finished first. note: squares work best as the majority of pillow forms are square and come in 2" increments [i.e. 10", 12", 14", etc.]

Take your finished pillow front and lay it over a slightly larger piece of cotton batting. Smooth it out flat, then pin baste. [here is a tool I use that helps this process along] I do not find it necessary to add another fabric layer to this sandwich because when I wash my pillow cases I simply safety pin the back of the pillow to the front.

Machine or hand quilt however you would like. If you machine quilt, trim the threads on the back as you start and stop sewing, but leave the ones on the front long.

After quilting, remove the basting pins. Now, take a needle and thread it with one of the loose threads on the pillow top. One at a time, bring each of these threads through the stitching line to the back. This leaves you with a nice top - no little tiny thread-ends sticking out.

Trim the excess batting so that it is even with the pillow front.

WOW - I bet you are so excited for step #2 - it's coming soon...

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! Thank you! I've been wanting to make some pillows and have been pondering the best way to go about it. I've been sewing for years so I'm a little embarrassed that I haven't picked up the best ways to make a quilted pillow yet.

    ReplyDelete