Sunday, January 24, 2010

make your mark...

For a while now I have been experimenting with labels for quilts and other sewing projects. When I was in college, I was priveleged to hear from a quilt historian. She came with boxes filled with quilts and each of those quilts had a story to tell. Some of them were silent - little was known about who made them or when. I think it is important to make your mark, to think of each project [especially quilts] as a potential heirloom.

There are ALOT of ideas out there on how to make labels or where to buy labels [I'll add a few links at the end of this post]. The web is getting way too crafty :] Here are a few samples I came up with recently along with brief how-to's for each one:

Label #1: inkjet fabric
This label is for my ORBC quilt back. I love the way it turned out. I am an unabashed photoshop fan - this project was no exception.
1. To make the label, I went online and got the fabric card [pdf file with all of the fabrics] for the Moda Blossom line.

2. I opened the pdf file in photoshop and copied and pasted the design elements that I liked in the fabric card into a new document. I have a tablet and that made it super easy to 'cut out' the flower and such.

3. I added my initials, the date, and other info to the label.
4. Print onto inkjet fabric. [I got a roll of it at JoAnn Fabrics; it's great, you can cut it to any size you want! The link is to the product I used, couldn't find it on JoAnn's site]

5. Follow the fabric instructions: for mine, that meant letting the ink set for 15 minutes, removing the paper, and then rinse with cool water.


Voila, you're a fabric designer! I did a sample and put it
through the washer and dryer, the color stayed with no noticeable fading.

Label #2: twill tape tags
Super simple to make: I bought a couple of sizes of twill tape [or rug binding], picked out some stamps, and, most importantly, purchased a fabric stamp pad.
1. Cut twill tape to desired length; fold in half.

2. Stamp, stamp, stamp

3. Heat set on high [I used steam]


Label #3: stamped fabric
Okay, enough with the steps: stamp on your fabric using the fabric ink, heat set.

Here are some other resources for labeling your quilts:

Iron-On Transfer Tags
Custom Manufactured Labels
Fabric Paint Stamp Pad
[note: this is a great method for larger stamps, not so great for stamps with small, fine details]

Do you label your projects? How do you do it?

6 comments:

  1. One of my favorite things about making quilts is the thought that one day my great great (great?) grandkids could be wrapped up in them one day. Like a small piece of me that will live on. I've never made a label before, but I love all your suggestions. Did you have a custom stamp made for your name, or did you use an alphabet set?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I never knew this was possible to do at home. Thanks for the great tips & links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these neat ideas! I have been wanting to start with a little label and the twill tape thing seems perfect. I'm so glad you shared your ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the labels...thanks so much for telling us about all these wonderful options....and the importance of labeling! I have been bad about that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT suggestions! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete