Monday, September 21, 2009

kitchen chemistry...

In college, my favorite courses were always connected to food science. From nutrition & wellness to how acids change the structure of meats (heatless cooking) - I love the thought of 'daily' life interacting with the scientific. My latest project brought a touch of the chem lab into my kitchen... My new (and first) spice rack!

I purchased the test tubes and corks on etsy. I printed labels out using the avery circle template (free on their website) and used a circle paper punch to cut them down to size. Then I used some trusty mod-podge to attach the labels to circles of scrapbooking papers.

I was so excited to win a test tube holder on ebay (only $9.99) and SO disappointed when my test tubes were too big! Nevertheless, I persevered; cutting out the wire frame work and creating a new one. Certainly not as nice as the original commercial made one - but all of my spices fit!

4 comments:

  1. I love these! I have to keep a large shaker for cinnamon because of our love affair with oatmeal... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It is soo cute. I would love to do something like that one day. Haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend built me a test tube spice rack that holds over 100 tubes! If you'd like to see it, go to FB page Jabberwocky Smooth Jerk. Just posted it today!
    Susann

    ReplyDelete