Friday, January 21, 2011

harry potter power...

I am admittedly mostly Harry Potter ignorant... I have not read the books, I have not seen all of the movies, but sometimes things you aren't an expert in can make for great bonding experiences. I met my friend Jordan when she was in high school - now she, on the other hand, is a die hard fan. She pre-ordered and waited in line for the BOOKS [and then read them each in a day]. She introduced me to this mythical world. I'm still not a reader, so we watched a couple of the movies together. We went to see the latest release in theaters - she watches excitedly, I lean over and ask who the heck is that character and why are they doing that. [For Christmas my brother got me all of the HP dvds, so soon I will be in the know!]

I thought nothing could be more fitting than an HP purse. Here is my own take on it! The inspiration came from the paper piecing pattern I found designed by Jennifer Ofenstein and then enlarged. I love how the subtle colors take this purse out of the pre-teen accessory category.

This is my first attempt with the 'no tools required' plastic grommets. They get my seal of approval! Especially helpful is the little template that comes with the set so that you can cut just the right size opening. I used some fusible fleece to give the top more stability.

Best part of making handmade gifts is seeing them enjoyed!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. :) And I would highly recommend the books. They are so much better than the movies - in my opinion. :) Not that the movies aren't good. :)

    ReplyDelete