Friday, July 24, 2009

she sells seashells...

ter·rar·i·um
n.
pl. ter·rar·i·ums or ter·rar·i·a
A small enclosure or closed container in which selected living plants and sometimes small land animals, such as turtles and lizards, are kept and observed.
Ohio... the 'northcoast' True, there is a body of water. True, there are a few areas of sand. True, there are sea creatures and you can swim in some places. But a 'coast' - not quite. On an inspiring trip to Pat Catan's and the flower factory I started thinking about our recent trip to the Caribbean (now, that is a coast, a real beach). A couple of weeks ago I made a few moss terrariums. Just an old jar with layers of river rocks, soil, and some freshly exumed moss. It has been fun to decorate - first a ceramic squirrel, now I have moved on to a tiny bicycle. It got me thinking - why not a seaside terrarium. A tiny piece of 'terra' from along the ocean. With a cup full of sand, a few scattered seashells, a few twigs, some wire, and a petite fimo crab I created my own little 'vacation in a jar.' Maybe if I can't have this view outside my window, I can still look through glass and be reminded of the beach!

I recently have been captivated by terrariums - or maybe reinspired by them. In college I took a class on plant life and biology; I filled a bottle with lake water and let nature do the rest. For weeks and months (even years) we watched as the dirt settled to the bottom of the bottle and the water cleared and sea life emerged. Snails were the most predominant (I think they ate everything else). It was a simple pleasure to come home and play a game of where's the snail. I think this was my first experience being captivated by an 'ecosystem' in a jar. To veer philisophical: it's a little like how God must feel as he ponders on his creation, food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment